JOIN US IN MAKING A DIFFERENCE, BECOME A VOLUNTEER TODAY FOR CHANGE
SOS is in search of an energetic, patient and empathic individuals able to reach the heart of people facing difficulties in their life.
Volunteers provide a valuable service to the community and the callers who find support and information through the SOS Crisis Line. The role of the Crisis Line Listeners is to offer a listening ear and provide support to those experiencing stress, emotional distress, loneliness, and suicidal thoughts through referrals when needed.
Responsibilities of Crisis Line Listener:
1. As one of SOS team member, you will explore the needs of the caller by allowing the caller time to share his/her concerns, empowering individuals with a non-judgmental attitude and good communication skills.
2. Perform a risk assessment to determine the immediate need for the caller
3. Offer appropriate community resources when necessary whether it is a relationship, financial or any life challenges they may be facing.
4. Complete call reports in iCarol.
• Organization skills, effective listening, and communication skills
• Non-judgemental attitude, ability to write reports after calls
• Complete SOS Crisis line training
• Be available for an interview; one-year commitment of two 4 hours crisis line shifts and 1 Back-up person per month
• Criminal and child record checks and provide two references
Benefits for the crisis line Listeners
1. As one of our team members, there is a mandatory SOS training and orientation for the crisis line as well as ongoing support and evaluations.
2. Willingness to participate in additional training as required by Some Other Solutions
3. Develop a non-judgmental attitude and good communication. Being part of a great team
4. personal growth, new experiences and continued learning
5. A sense of contribution to your community by, Being a friend, a family, and a positive support system to callers.
6. Opportunity to join the volunteer committee, attend meetings and be part of the change you will like to see.
Please contact Rita Uzorchukwuamaka at Volunteering@someothersolutions.ca or by phone (780-743-8605 Ext 6) for any question or to be part of our team. To learn more about Some Other Solutions, feel free to visit our website @www.someothersolutions.ca or Facebook page @some other solutions.
About Some Other Solutions Society for Crisis Prevention (SOS)
Some Other Solutions was established to address the problems relating to crisis or giving rise to crisis. The Suicide Prevention Program was originally operated by the City of Fort McMurray through the Family and Community Support Services (FCSS). In 1986, City Council felt it would be more efficient if it was run by a separate society. The Province of Alberta contributed a major portion of funding in keeping with their policy for suicide prevention. SOS was then formed.
The Crisis Line, which has formerly been called the Helpline, and the Distress Line, was started in 1987, funded by FCSS and the United Way. In 1988 the Growing with Grief program began. Near the end of that same year the Teen Line was added.
In 1990, the Crisis Line was able to extend its service to many remote areas throughout Northeastern Alberta with the addition of the 1-800 line. This project was funded by a grant from the Wild Rose Foundation.
Now many years later, Some Other Solutions (SOS) has expanded to offer a variety of services and programs for crisis prevention, intervention and post vention.