JOIN US IN MAKING A DIFFERENCE, BECOME A VOLUNTEER TODAY for CHANGE
Some Other Solutions Society for Crisis Prevention (SOS) supports all individuals experiencing stress, emotional distress, loneliness, and suicidal thoughts. SOS is in search of an energetic, patient and empathic individuals able to reach the heart of people facing difficulties in their life.
The Crisis Line is an essential service that SOS offers to the region, and the volunteers provide a valuable service for the community and the callers who find support and information through the SOS Crisis Line. The role of the Crisis Line Listeners is to offer a listening ear and provide support to those in crisis which includes providing referrals when needed.
Responsibilities of Crisis Line Listener:
1. As one of SOS team member, you will explore the needs of the caller by allowing the caller time to share his/her concerns, empowering individuals with a non-judgmental attitude and good communication skills.
2. Perform a risk assessment to determine the immediate need of the caller
3. Offer appropriate community resources when necessary whether it is a relationship, financial or any life challenges they may be facing.
4. Complete call reports in iCarol.
· Organization skills, effective listening, and communication skills
· Non-judgemental attitude, ability to write reports after calls
· Complete SOS crisis line training
· Six Months commitment two 4 hours shifts per month
· Criminal and child record checks and provide two references
Benefits for the crisis line Listeners
1. As one of our team members, there is a mandatory SOS training and orientation for the crisis line as well as ongoing support and evaluations.
2. Willingness to participate in additional training as required by Some Other Solutions
3. Develop a non-judgmental attitude and good communication. Being part of a great team
4. personal growth, new experiences and continued learning
5. A sense of contribution to your community by, Being a friend, a family, and a positive support system to callers.
6. Opportunity to join the volunteer committee, attend meetings and be part of the change you will like to see.
About Some Other Solutions Society for Crisis Prevention (SOS)
ABOUT SOME OTHER SOLUTIONS (SOS): All our programs and services aimed at helping individuals cope with the different types of crisis situations in ways that reduce the negative psychological, physiological and behavioral effects of trauma on that person and his or her environment. SOS provides services through 3 main programs.
1.INFORMATION AND REFERRAL PROGRAM
2.HEALTH AND WELLNESS PROGRAM
3.CHILD AND YOUTH PROGRAM
Please contact Rita Uzorchukwuamaka at Volunteering@someothersolutions.ca or by phone (780-743-8605) for any question or to be part of our team. Also, feel free to visit our website @someothersolutions.ca or Facebook page @some other solutions.