JOIN US IN MAKING A DIFFERENCE, BECOME A VOLUNTEER TODAY for CHANGE
Some Other Solutions Society for Crisis Prevention (SOS) supports all individuals experiencing stress, emotional distress, loneliness, and suicidal thoughts. SOS is in search of an energetic, patient and empathic individuals able to reach the heart of people facing difficulties in their life.
The Child and Youth programs are essential services that SOS offers to the region, and volunteers provide a valuable service to the community. The role of the volunteer mentor is to be a consistent adult presence in a young person’s life who can offer advice, share life their experiences, and empower a young person to navigate through challenges.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF AFTER SCHOOL SPORTPLAY FACILITATOR:
- We are looking for an individual to co-facilitate an After School Sports Play movement program. You will be tasked with handling a group of 20-25 youth between the ages of 8-12 (grade 4-6). Working out of the school gymnasium during after-school hours, you will be an instructor, a coach, a mentor, and a participant. You need to bring energy and FUN. We will need the commitment of minimum one session (1.5 hrs) per week. You could have an option of multiple schools in a week.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF SUMMER CAMP MENTOR:
- We are looking for an individual to facilitate activities aimed at fostering an environment for campers to have a safe, fun, and healthy summer while growing, and learning new life skills at camp. You will be tasked with handling campers between the ages of 5-16 years old for July and August.
- As a volunteer summer camp, mentor, you will lead the campers in games and activities in various places in the community. As a summer camp volunteer mentor, you will promote a culture of playing fair, making friends, respecting boundaries, and embracing different backgrounds at camp.
- Previous experience with children and youth aged five years and older. You definitely must love working with kids!
- Recent Police and Child Welfare Checks.
- Character Reference Letters.
- Interview Process with Child and Youth Manager.
- Six months to a One-year commitment
BENEFITS FOR THE VOLUNTEER MENTOR
- During the whole experience, we are certain that you will gain a wealth of new insight of how young people think and feel. Not only will you make an impact in their lives, but they will certainly change yours!
- In-house Mentor Training with the Child and Youth Team.
- A lot of learning and training opportunities offered by the school districts.
- Consistent guidance and supervision from the SOS team.All our programs and services aimed at helping individuals cope with the different types of crisis situations in ways that reduce the negative psychological, physiological and behavioral effects of trauma on that person and his or her environment. SOS provides services through 3 main programs.1.INFORMATION AND REFERRAL PROGRAM
2.HEALTH AND WELLNESS PROGRAM
3.CHILD AND YOUTH PROGRAM
Please contact Rita Uzorchukwuamaka at Volunteering@someothersolutions.ca or by phone (780-743-8605) for any question or to be part of our team. To learn more about Some Other Solutions, feel free to visit our website @someothersolutions.ca or Facebook page @some other solutions.